Thursday 18 August 2011

Friendship

Last weekend I met up severally with two old friends.  Both have been a huge part of my life, although one has slipped back in the number of times we meet for quite a few years.  But it remains true that I can slip back into deep and wonderful conversation with both at the drop of a hat.

For one of them, it is an unconventional hat, perhaps a patchwork beret or something wild and arty.  Practical, but uncompromising; and rightfully so.  Anything that is not right, is dispensed with.  And the glamour and certainty is fantastic.  I love her for her confidence, in life, in herself, in the world – and for her hefty batch of cynicism and practicality.  She’s amazing.

And so supportive of me.  But still very neutral and open.  She’s always so busy doing things, I can relax and not have to be the life and soul of the party.  Which is refreshing, as I play that role so much of the time.

There was a third party present though, and so I wasn’t as open as I would normally be, and did not get to speak about what was really affecting me.  This was interesting, but acceptable, and I’m sure there will be other times for that conversation.  In fact I know there will be.

The other hat was from long ago (probably a mad bobble hat or piece of carnival silliness).  I’d felt that we’d rather lost touch, but it turns out we’ve been around the houses in very different directions and ended up in a very similar place emotionally.  She’s also supporting and neutral.  There is rather a lot of history there, and we did quite a bit of sceptical reminiscing this time.  There was no interruption, no distraction, and no holding back.  We're mad.  Quite mad.  But she has encouraged me to do something that has been suggested by another wonderful friend who believes in me.  And what's more, I've done it.  So, we shall see how that turns out...



I believe in both of them, and trust them implicitly.  It’s ridiculous how I haven’t seen much of either lately, something I really must put right.  Not that I don’t have other excellent friends; but every piece in the puzzle of me helps me see the full picture.  And no hats were dropped in the making of this blog.