Saturday 18 June 2011

The Apple Tree

Looking through my window I see the garden in the rain.  I see the green looking more luxurious than in the last few weeks.  I see the pond refilled without artificial assistance.  I see the birds sheltering in various spots, knowing that they can come out again shortly.  I see the blackbird hopping about on the lawn, pulling worms from the freshened grass, brought out by the pitter patter of the droplets on the surface.  A tasty meal brought about by nature.

I see the apple tree.  It has grown so large this year and is loaded with fruit.  So heavy, the burden weighs it down and the lower branches can no longer be walked under.  Clearly the gentle pruning I gave it in the spring (far too late really) has helped it to become even more fertile and productive.  Amazing what a bit of discipline can sometimes do.

It currently bears far too many baby apples though - it will not be able to sustain all of those, and will need to shed some or it will collapse under the weight.  No living thing could bring all that to fruition - it simply won't have the resources to do it.  So it will decide upon the weaker fruit and release them in their infancy to lie lost on the lawn, where they will make it into the compost bin and become a part of the eternal cycle of the garden.  This will make the tree stronger, as it will be able to concentrate on the ones that are really important.  A little like me needing to shed some of my projects and focussing on the really important things.  They need time to grow.  Actually that's what I'm in the process of doing, with a couple of things, things I've outgrown, or have helped as far as I can.  New attentions will no doubt take their place, but that's ok.

The tree glistens in the rain, supping at heaven's downfall. I love how it looks.  It looks still and peaceful, but every few seconds a heavy raindrop hits a leaf, making it move.  I can't see the droplet from here, but I know and trust that it is there - one has to trust in some causes, even though they may be invisible.  The overall effect is that the tree is alive, with sporadic movement, randomly placed across the emerald surface.  The movement is there, and then gone.  Never in the same place twice.  No pattern, just sponteneity.

It makes me think of a life, touched from all over, by all sorts of influences, rich and living, and as with the rain, contributing to the wellbeing and development of the tree.  There is, of course the trunk - sturdy and consistent that brings constancy.  There are the roots, nourishing.  There are the birds, occasional visitors and a few close and frequent returners, who tend the tree, pollenating it and creating that wonderful fruit.  A gentle touch here and there, a small investment of their time, they make the tree a fully functioning thing.  A synergy.  The tree gives them sustainance too, and they live together in the green garden.

Of course the rain feeds the roots, the trunk, the branches, leaves and fruit.  Just like some things, and people, in a life.  Those things and people should be treasured.  They nurture the very core.

I hope my apple tree continues to fruit well, and look forward to a bumper crop shortly.  And the cycle of life will continue.