Tuesday 28 June 2011

"The giving of love is an education in itself" - Eleanor Roosevelt

I really shouldn't have watched that film.  I haven't cried so much since the second (not first) attendance at Les Mis in 1993, where I cried the entire length of my walk back to the hotel (approx 30 mins).  For no apparent reason - it's sad, but I'd seen it before, so why?  I perhaps knew, but never allowed myself to accept it.

Another film did that to me once before - I shan't say which one, but accept that it is not a film that one would normally accept to make you sad - just perhaps reflective on the nature of good and bad, on love and on an individual's inability to find and allow himself happiness.

Last night I confused the fellow watcher, who found it strange and amusing that there was such a reaction.  His youth has not given him many tears (of which I am so glad), and his wisdom does not yet allow him experience of seeing such unexpected things.  He was marvellous though.

And in any case, I am not sad.  Many other things - all at once - but not sad.
I guess I'm occasionally susceptable to releasing my emotions at a 'convenient' opportunity.  And in any case, the provocation must be the ...cold.