Saturday 11 June 2011

Post Script

I didn't really answer my own questions in the last post.  Is fantasy escapism or torture?

I don't know.  Ask anyone who has ever been lost in a book, or felt transported by a film, or created a personal fantasy they act out.  Coming back to real life may be painful, but it is real life that makes the fantasy so special.  For if you were to constantly indulge yourself, you either run the risk of losing yourself forever, or in the fantasy becoming the norm, and then you need a new fantasy.

Fantasy isn't always risk free.  Sometimes retreating from it is intense torture.  But sometimes it releases the ability to accommodate the norm.  And make that a better life for all.

PPS - if you put 'Fantasy' into Google and select Images, the first 10 pages almost all contain iridescent women, lithe and scantily clad.  Presumably that's the artists of the genre opinion of what fantasy is.... Don't women have fantasies?  Luckily page 11 had something I felt suited me.


"Pure Imagination"
Bricusse  & Newley - not my favourite songwriters, but this one seemed to suit the post.
"Come with me, And you'll be, In a world of Pure imagination;
Take a look, And you'll see, Into your imagination

We'll begin, With a spin, Travelling in, The world of my creation;
What we'll see Will defy Explanation

If you want to view paradise, Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing, To it

There is no, Life I know, To compare with Pure imagination
Living there, You'll be free
If you truly wish to be."

Of course, I don't own a chocolate factory, so my scope might be limited .... Now there's a thought.  Next fantasy coming up...